Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Port Harcourt Quick Facts
Port Harcourt is a city located in the Niger Delta in Nigeria. It is the administrative centre and capital city of Rivers State. Port Harcourt was founded by the British in 1912 on land originally inhabited by the Igbo who called it Igwe Ocha and Ijaw. The British named it after Lewis, Viscount Harcourt, Secretary of State for the Colonies.
The initial purpose of the port was to export coal that arrived in large quantities from the mining town of Enugu to the north via the Bonny River along which the port sits. It has a population of 1,133,400 (as of 2004). Business related to the petroleum industry is conducted here. Port Harcourt is the chief oil-refining city in Nigeria, oil being one of Nigeria’s most important commodities and main foreign exchange earner. There is also a fishing industry and a fish market.
Attractions in the city include a museum. The city is also a transport hub with an International Airport, a railway line to Maiduguri and ferry/ferries to Nembe, Bonny Island and Brass Island.
The current governor is Dr Peter Odili of the Peoples Democratic Party, who won the election for a second term in 2003.
Port Harcourt is also one of the centres for strong Pentecostal Christian growth in the region and is host to several large churches such as Royal House of Grace International Church and Abundant Life Evangel Mission headed by apostle Zilly Aggrey and apostle Eugene Ogu respectively.
Port Harcourt is also known as “the goose that lays the golden egg” due to its vast oil resources. Nigeria depends on its oil resources to run the nation.